Saturday, April 21, 2007

Book Review: Runway knits

Runway knits is written by Berta Karapetyan, She grew up in Moscow Russia and has been knitting since she was 12. Her family owns the Karabella yarn co. If you have ever knit with Karabella you know what wonderful yarn this is. All the designs in the book use Karabella yarns, maybe that's why they look so wonderful. Or maybe it's the great photography. Or maybe its the beautiful models. Whatever it is this is a very pretty book. One of thoes books that you just have to bring home with you so you can look at it over and over again.
The book has 30 designs ranging in skill level from fairly easy to more advanced. If you are a beginner you will need a reference book becuse there are no basic knitting tips in this book. which I love because I don't need that information and I'd rather they use the pages for more patterns. Each pattern has several pages of information. so, I'm guessing at this point that her instructions are thorough. I won't know for sure untill I try one, but at first glance they look good.
My favorites, the ones I will probably knit first are: The leaf Panelled sweater. ( pg 72)I LOVE this. It's a tank that has a leaf stitch running up the front and along the edges. Love it. I also really like the Cabled Cardigan ( pg 87) very pretty. Other favorites Seashell shrug pg 47, v-neck from page 82, silky turtleneck, the soldier sweater is unusual but I think I like it and the A line jacket is a maybe not loving the enourmous buttons.
Only complaint that I have so far is that she doesn't do a lot of sizes it's S, M. L so if you are not one of them you have to adjust. Maybe I'm getting spoiled with fitted knits, she has several sizes and most projects are knit in the round YEA!! not in runway knits you have to seam, oh well I think it would be worth it some of these are really pretty!!
Overall rating on this book: I'm very happy.

3 Comments:

Blogger Tany said...

Thanks for this review, that book is in my wish list now :).

2:07 AM  
Blogger Adrienne said...

Toya has this book and I am anxious to see it for myself.....making a trip to B&N tomorrow to take a peek at it, but she really likes it! Thanks for the review!

6:36 AM  
Blogger Toya said...

isn't is awesome, I mean, lots of just eye candy but there is a mint green mock turtle neck sleeveless in there that is to DIE for,, I can see it in white, I can see it in my near future lol
great review, love it

9:23 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home