Friday, February 09, 2007

Fabric and magazines

I was ay Borders today and was excited to see the "sewstylish" magazine was there. This is the special publication from the makers of Threads magazine. Anyway, I was so excited (and in a hurry) that I didn't even flip through it. I just glanced at the price (didn't want any surprises) and went to pay. I also picked up the "new cutting edge"" and "Adorn" magazines. I'll look at the stew stylish tonight and give you a review.
For the Banana Republic dress from a couple of post ago I have picked up Vogue 8110.
Mostly because of all the patterns that were similiar this one wasn't just the dress it has a trench coat with it. More for your $$. That and this morning out local paper had a whole article on how Trench coats are the "in" thing for spring fashion.

Then, because I needed some thread and buttons for the shirt I was working on I went to Beverlys fabrics and they were having a huge fabric sale, $1 a yard fabric. So I bought two pieces of some mystery fabrics. I also bought a flat fold piece that I am sure is a wool blend of some type in a navy blue, it's very soft and I think it will work for the BR dress. The girl at the counter was sure it was a denim ( your kidding right ?) so she charged my the sale denim price and then it was %50 off so it ended up costing me $5.87 for 2, 3/4 yards of this really nice fabric.
I tried to tell her I thought it was one of the wools which still would have been a great price but she was sure she was right so I got this fabric for practically nothing. I paid more for the pattern then the fabric. The pattern has 1/2 price. My Br dress will end up costing less then $20 to make compaired to over $100 to buy. How cool is that?

It's supposed to rain all weekend so hopefully I will be productive and not lazy.

3 Comments:

Blogger stacysews said...

I can't wait to hear what you think about Sew Stylish - I haven't seen it on newstands yet!

9:52 PM  
Blogger Marji said...

Good luck getting sewing done this weekend.
Your swap items are looking great.
Love the pattern you settled on for the BR dress. You should burn test the fabric you got and let us know if it is wool or cotton.

8:12 AM  
Blogger Stephanie said...

Oh great idea Marji. I will do that I was going to test wash a swatch of it but burning is good too.

12:03 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home