Sunday, March 18, 2007

Simple sewing book review

I bought this book from Amazon and it came on friday. Simple Sewing by Lotta Jansdotter.
My first reaction was "It looks like stitches by Amy Butler" It has the same hard cover, spiral binding, pocket with patterns on the inside cover. And it really just has that same "feel" to it.
My pages don't turn very well, like the spiral should have been bigger.
The book is broken down into 4 chapters, here are a few of the things from each chapter
Cook: kitchen stuff, cook accessories like an apron, oven mitt pot holder
Go : mostly totes, garden tote, yoga mat tote, backpack, and a sun hat
Nest: stuff for your house, pillow case curtains
Organize: wall organizer, checkbook cover, magazine holder
Most of the projects are VERY simple in fact most of them you could probably make with out a pattern. I haven't made anything from the book yet, but I did look at some of the instructions and they look like thier written well.
I think the thing that I like most about the projects are the fabrics that she used. None of the projects in the book jump out and say make me. I wanted to love this book but I'm undecided at the moment.
I would highly recommend Dennis Schmidts Quilts book as my first choice and Amy Butler's Institches as my 2nd choice with thoes two books you have most of the same projects that are in this book.

2 Comments:

Blogger stacysews said...

Thank you so much for reviewing this one!

9:28 PM  
Blogger Kathy said...

Interesting! I too love Denise's book. Was not impressed with Amy's so did not buy it (looked thru it at the LQS while books were 50% off and did not buy it). I just got the Lotta book from Amazon and was happy with it - I do agree the fabric helps! I also noticed the problem with the turning of pages but thought it was because it was a new book.
I got the French Twist sewing book also but have not gone through that one. Reading for the week.

Did you not like the magazine holder? I was thinking towel rack in guest bathroom.

10:47 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home